2 Jan 2012

Did a Little New Years Work

Well ended up chopping my Cheatah Engineering frame Newyears day! There was about 30-40 mile an hour winds, and it was a balmy 25 degrees or so, with rain and snow throught the day. My 220 cable doesn't make it to the garage so after setting the jig, I used my stick welder outside.... Fun Fun. Today will consist of cleaning up the welds. I welded the joints with 7018 stick, and flat welded with 6013. So my welds are gianormous yet should be fantastically strong. The penetration on the neck was perfect. The day was spent running in and out of the house (had the rods in the oven).

So the frame has gone to a single down tube not all the way down but about half. I also still need a gusset for the neck. Though it should be plenty strong. I flat welded the tube junction (where the down tube meets the 2 bottom rails, after laying 2-3 root passes with the 7018. Not very pleasing to the eye yet, but there is penty of material. I got this idea from the Ironhead Frame I have.

I used 1 1/2 inch DOM with .1875 walls on the down tube, and a harley style neck and bearings.

Hopefully no one gets mad at me with cutting up some 70's goodness, honestly I really don't care. They aren't selling for too much, and would cost me about the same as the hardtail for the origional BSA frame. On to the pics there is still some flux on the welds, forgive me but 6-8 hours in the biting cold finished me off!!


The neck is now at 29 degrees vs the 40 is was previously. Also test fitting a triumph exhaust.
BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I can't wait to see the new stance. It's gonna be so much more 'you' with how much I know you like the steep rake necks. How much length needs to come out of the fork now?

    I still think I like the pipes you made and had on there before...

    ReplyDelete